B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2010
ME 2304 - ENGINEERING METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS
(Common to Production Engineering)
University Papers | Syllabus | Entrance Exam | Govt & PSU Papers | Bank Papers
Programming Questions | Travel Tips | Mobile Review | Placement Papers
ANNA UNIVERSITY SYLLABUS: CLICK HERE
OTHER DEPARTMENT PAPERS: CLICK HERE
Download PDF Version- Click Here
For More Question paper on MECH - CLICK HERE
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. Distinguish between 'Line Standard' and 'End Standard'.
2. Define the term 'Sensitivity' of an instrument.
3. What is meant by wringing of slip gauges?
4. What are limit gauges?
5. What is meant by 'Best size wire' in screw thread measurement?
6. Define the term 'constant chord' of a gear.
7. What are the advantages of laser interferometer?
8. What is a CNC CMM?
9. What are load cells?
10. What is the working principle of bimetallic thermometer?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) Draw the block diagram of a generalized measurement system and explain the various stages with an example. [Marks 10]
(ii) Distinguish between 'Precision' and 'Accuracy' with suitable examples. [Marks 6]
(b) (i) Describe Systematic errors and Random errors. Discuss the means adopted to minimize these errors. [Marks 12]
(ii) Explain the term 'interchangeability'. [Marks 4]
12. (a) (i) Explain, with a neat sketch, the construction and working of a Tool Maker's Microscope. [Marks 8]
(ii) Explain, with a sketch, the construction and working of Solex Pneumatic Comparator. [Marks 8]
(b) (i) What is the principle of Angle dekkor? How is it used for the measurement of angles? [Marks 8]
(ii) Explain the use of an optical flat to test the flatness of measuring surfaces. [Marks 8]
13. (a) (i) Explain the principle of measuring gear tooth thickness by Base tangent method. [Marks 8]
(ii) With a neat sketch, describe the construction and working of a profilometer. [Marks 8]
(b) (i) Derive the formula for measuring the effective diameter of a screw thread by three-wire method. [Marks 8]
(ii) Define straightness. Describe any one method of measuring straightness of a surface. [Marks 8]
14. (a) (i) With a neat sketch explain the working of laser interferometer. [Marks 8]
(ii) Discuss the need of computers in inspection. [Marks 8]
(b) (i) Describe the construction and operation of a coordinate measuring machine. [Marks 12]
(ii) State the advantages of CMM. [Marks 4]
15. (a) (i) Explain the principle of operation of a hydraulic dynamometer. [Marks 8]
(ii) Explain the principle of operation of Bourdon tube pressure gauge. [Marks 8]
(b) (i) Explain the working of a rotameter with a neat sketch. [Marks 8 ]
(ii) Using a sketch, explain the working of an optical pyrometer. [Marks 8]